CoreDogs and PHP
Where are we?
You know roughly what PHP does, and why it is worth learning. But why learn with CoreDogs?
This lesson’s goals
This lesson explains:
- How CoreDogs helps you use your learning time well.
- That CoreDogs uses ideas from the science of learning. This makes it different from other sources.
Learning how to create Web sites is worthwhile.
- You can make a career out of it.
- You can give a boost to another career, like writer, marketer, or teacher.
- You can serve the greater good, from a neighborhood group to a national nonprofit.
But learning takes time. Time you could spend doing other things.
CoreDogs helps you spend your learning time well.
- CoreDogs focuses on the real world. I emphasize how PHP helps you solve problems, rather than how it works internally.
- CoreDogs flattens the learning curve. It’s important not to let things get too complex, too fast. Slow and easy is better. CoreDogs explains new ideas in easily digestible chunks. Go through the lessons at your own pace.
- CoreDogs leaves a lot out. The lessons cover only the most important parts of PHP. This gives you a good framework for future learning, should you choose to go further.
- CoreDogs encourages practice, practice, practice. There are dozens of exercises, all with solutions. There’s a dedicated discussion area for each exercise, so you can ask others about their solutions.
Why do all these things? Because of a core value of the CoreDogs project:
CoreDogs should use ideas from the science of learning.
There’s a lot of good research on how people learn. The last two decades have seen some amazing work. People into learning research will recognize terms like constructivism, scaffolding, phenomenography, and social learning.
CoreDogs uses ideas from this research. That means that CoreDogs is unlike other books or Web sites on PHP. They tend to be written by people with strong technical skills, but who haven’t studied learning.
CoreDogs has less technical material about PHP than other sources. What is here is just the important core. And the lessons are designed to help reduce your learning time.
Learning how to create Web sites is worthwhile. You can make a career out of it. You can give a boost to another career. You can serve the greater good.
Learning takes time. CoreDogs helps you spend your learning time well. It focuses on the real world. It flattens the learning curve. CoreDogs leaves a lot out, focusing only on the core of PHP. CoreDogs encourages practice, practice, practice.
CoreDogs uses ideas from the science of learning. It has less technical material about PHP than other sources. What is here is just the important core. The lessons help reduce your learning time.
To finish up this chapter, let’s talk about how you can use CoreDogs most effectively.